These are by far the best and healthiest rhubarb muffins you will ever eat! I could eat them all!
Recipe: Rhubarb Muffins
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1/4 cup salad oil ( I used grape seed oil)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk
2 cups chopped rhubarb (I added more, I like lots!)
1/2 cup pecan peices (these are optional)
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
topping: This can be varied. I like lots of topping so I make extra
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat oven to 400F (200C). Grease 24 medium-sized muffin tins
- In a large bowl combine brown sugar, oil, egg and vanilla
- Beat until its well mixed and nice and smooth
- Stir in buttermilk, rhubarb and pecans(optional remember)
- In another bowl mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt
- Add this mixture all at once to the rhubarb mixture and stir until well combined and everything is moistened. DONT over mix!
- Fill prepared muffin tins 3/4 way full with batter. I use the old two spoon trick
- Quickly combine topping ingredients and sprinkle on top of batter in each muffin cup
- Bake in preheated oven on the middle rack for 15-20 minutes.
There you go!
The best rhubarb muffins you will ever have, that wont give you muffin tops.